Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Never in a Million..

Dallin and I were watching a show earlier and it showed a family swimming with stingrays down in Stingray City.  The family looked happy, ecstatic, as if it was the best thing in the world.  I asked Dallin if he would ever do that..."sure, why not".  Gag, I'll tell you why not...if they can kill Steve Irwin they can kill me.  Ok ya, I know it was a different incident but I'd rather take my chances doing something else.  This turned into a discussion of why I would never do that...but first, I have to preface this with a little incident that I like to call "Attack of the Octopus".
My sister took me to Hawaii when I was 12, it was amazing!  One of the things I was so excited about doing (I couldn't WAIT) was snorkel with all the crazy fish, of which was promised to be some real cool ones.  We were dropped off at a reef and swam with some amazing fish and animals.  Towards the end of the snorkel adventure, I went off by myself a little ways and found myself surrounded by a school of fish, totally not scared that I was swimming with them.  The school got tighter and tighter around me (which freaked me out) and then I felt some sort of bite around me ankle!!!!!  I start freaking out thinking the worst has happened.  My stupid 12 year old mind goes straight to pirhanas and I frantically try to get away back towards our boat.  As I'm flopping back I see a bright red and orange octopus following me, it literally chased me all the way back!!!  I swear I made it back in the boat within inches of my life.  Needless to say it wasn't all that big of a deal but it has scarred my memory enough so that if I see fish in the water where I swim, I panic just a little.  Before this, the thought of swimming in the ocean with all sorts of things was a thrill...not anymore.


This is what the killer looked like.





Even snorkeling with Dallin's family for the first time was a trip.  I didn't tell anyone about my octopus incident till after the fact, it is kind of ridiculous.  Once the boat dropped us off, I swallowed my fear and jumped.  Of course the fish followed me and got too close for comfort, which led me to literally flopping in the water to try to scare them away from me.  Dallin seriously thought something was wrong with me.  I've told him my story since then and he still thinks I'm a pansy.  I don't think pansy is a good word, because obviously I went snorkeling again and I do swim in oceans and lakes. 
But back to the stingrays...there is nothing that sounds worse than those beasts crawling up my back with their death spear tail centimeters away from killing me. 


After swmming in the ocean in Mexico...totally chill




Death by stingray...I doubt he got away.







And if Dallin thinks I'm a pansy, you should see what a little girl he is if he sees a snake...I'm done.

No comments: