Friday, September 7, 2012

Life and Harper

I am a mother...wait, that didn't sound quite right.  It's more of a "sweet-baby-girl/awesome-new-sidekick" feel.  Regardless of that sentence having its audical appeal, it's true.  I'll admit, I had the same feelings when I was first married.  Maybe it's because I had different expectations of what these huge, life changing moments should feel like.  Anyway.

Despite those few set backs Harper had, she is right where she needs to be.  Beautiful with chub!  Little girl is a fighter and has such a distinct personality already.  She first smiled for me at 4 weeks.  It was after her 4 am feeding and we were just "talking".  It wasn't a food coma smile, I know what those look like.  It was a genuine, looking at me, complete eye contact, smile that lasted about 5 seconds.  The sweetest thing I have EVER seen.  Since then she's been smiling and talking up a storm.  I've never seen such a sweet, content baby; I'm so lucky I have her!
She is now 7 weeks at 9 lbs7-8 oz and loves her food, pacifier, music, going out, standing up and "flying" with Grandpa Gary. 

Along with adjusting to this awesome new addition, I've been recouping from the birth.  Upon leaving the hospital, I was given some Percocet.  One night after taking a big pill cocktail, I was OUT.  I woke up and the full length mirror I have leaning up against my wall was gone.  I asked Dallin if he had moved it for some reason and he, of course, had no idea what I was talking about!  Strangest thing...my mirror had run off by itself and left no trace.  Normally I would pull out an entire investigation to find it but I had more important things (Harper) filling up life.  A couple days later I was cleaning and something shiny caught my eye from under the bed.  Sure enough it was the full length mirror..under the bed...Since Dallin (said he) didn't move it, I have to assume I did for some reason.  I should say, I've been told that I get really weird - saying and doing strange things - when I take Percocet.  I don't know how, when, or why.  No more percocet.

We've had so much fun the past few weeks, it's hard to believe she's almost 2 months already.  My mom and dad stayed here for almost 3 weeks.  It was so nice to have them here especially during the chaos.  They, along with Gary and Dwan, picked up loose ends for us, catered to us, and most importantly made us (maybe just me) feel like we weren't entirely losing our minds.  After they went home, cousins Janine and Jessica came for a few days filled with lounging, shopping, talking, and relaxing.  A week after that my sister Susanna came for a few more days.  Susanna and I share a love for good food and we always seem to capitalize on that when we're together. 
It's been pretty eventful so far, and we're looking forward to friends coming this weekend, Harp's blessing the end of the month with more family, Labor Day with more friends coming out, then September the girls are all coming to Reno for our annual girls weekend!  Wow!  Here comes the fun!

No comments: